Cinco and Ken's Way to Put Off Actually Writing

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Tom Cruise IS Jerry Maguire!

"You are hanging on by a very thin thread and I dig that about you!" Rod Tidwell, to Jerry Maguire (screenplay by Cameron Crowe)



I've always been a fan of Tom Cruise. And Jerry Maguire is one of my favorite movies of all time. But I think Tom may be taking his role as Jerry a little too seriously.

Remember the movie? First there was the memo (or mission statement) that really shook things up at the sports agency. The parallel in Tom's life has to be his Scientology, his views on treating depression with medication, his couch jumping.

The memo got Jerry fired. And Tom's memo just got him fired.

So what did Jerry do? He went into business for himself! Who needs a big agency? And what did Tom just do? He went into business for himself! Who needs the movie studios?

"But if anybody else wants to come with me, this moment will be the ground floor of something real and fun and inspiring and true in this godforsaken business and we will do it together!" Jerry Maguire (screenplay by Cameron Crowe)

But Jerry didn't go it alone. No, he had a girl with him. A puffy-cheeked girl who loved him unconditionally. Dorothy Boyd, played by Renee Zellweger. And Tom's not going it alone either. He's got his own puffy-cheeked girl who loves him unconditionally. The lovely Katie Holmes.










I have to say, I was rooting for Jerry Maguire, and I'm rooting for Tom Cruise in the same way. Sure, he's acted a little crazy, but he hasn't done anything illegal, and movie stars have exhibited much worse behavior and been forgiven.

So, Tom, I hope you don't do what everyone thinks you're gonna do, which is flip out. I hope you find your Rod Tidwell.

By the way, I hear you're looking for a comedy...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home